My wife, Amelia, and I bought our West St. Paul home in 2015 after renting in Minneapolis for years, and we can’t imagine calling anywhere else home with our three kids – Ash (25), Oslo (7), and Ellis (4). Because Amelia and I want our kids to know how important diversity and representation are in their local government, Oslo and Ellis have attended both Park & Rec Advisory Committee and South Metro Fire Board meetings. It’s a great opportunity for them to be engaged with local government so they can find their voices as citizens when they grow older.
I was elected in 2018 to my first term on the West St. Paul City Council as the sixth woman and first ever openly LGBTQ+ person to serve in our City.. When I ran in 2018, my priority was to empower our community, honor diversity, and to maximize our use of taxpayer funds so people could continue to be proud to live, work, go to school, and visit West St. Paul. As your council person for the next four years, I look forward to continuing on this path.
My nearly 15 years of human resources experience helps me to navigate difficult conversations with community members on topics important to them. I’ve created and adhered to policy, enabling me to think critically with an eye on long-term impact. I welcome tough conversations with residents. It makes me a better council member.
I have a bachelor’s degree in Industrial & Organizational Psychology, and am certified in the tenets of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in the Workplace. I’m currently pursuing further education in Inclusive and Ethical Leadership.
Serving community-building organizations is part of who I am. Each of the following opportunities helped me to become a better City Council member, community member, parent, and person.
- Six-time participant in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, raising over $20,000 for breast cancer research, and walking a grand total of 180 miles.
- Habitat for Humanity home-building participant
- Three-time participant in the Polar Plunge (brr!) supporting the Minnesota Special Olympics
- Engaged with local high school seniors about teamwork, job searching, and resume building, for college preparation with BestPrep
- Mock interviewer for a Minnesota Business Venture
- 2-semester Mentor for Two Rivers High School freshmen during their Freshman Warrior seminar
- Family volunteers with Healing Hearts Rescue as a foster home for dogs that are in need of a new forever home